Joint check post at Attari-Wagah Border:- Before partition, Lahore and Amritsar were the prominent cities and trade centres of the then undivided Punjab. After partition of India and Pakistan a joint check post was established near Border Pillar No. 102 which is just on the historic Sher Shah Suri road or Grand Trunk Road. It is the starting point of the National Highway 01, Part of the historic GT Road and is also part of AH-1, the longest route of the Asian Highway Network. Attari village was the native village of Sardar Sham Singh Attariwala, one of the Generals in the Army of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Village Wagah was the jagir of Jagirdar Sham Singh of Attari. Beating the retreat ceremony was started in 1959 and it was agreed by the Govt of both the countries. In 1947, Indian Army was entrusted the responsibilities of ensuring security of joint check post situated on NH-1 join both the countries.Initially the Kumaon Regiment of Army provided first contingent to man the JCP. First flag hoisting ceremony was witnessed by Brig Mohinder Singh Chopra on 11th Oct 1947. During mid-1950s, JCP was taken over by Punjab Police. First retreat ceremony of its kind was started in 1952.